Laura Gonzalez

blog

25 Jan 2008

Absence

It has been a while. I have been a hermit, distanced from online activities, wholly immersed in constructing Chapter 1, figuring out A Case of Seduction (End Gallery 12-17 May 2008), attending a Psychoanalysis and the Arts and Humanities conference (Vicissitudes : Histories and Destinies of Psychoanalysis) and coping with the end of my analysis. I know, I know that each time I disappear for a while I come back with a list but I have had to put all of my energies on Chapter 1. It has felt like a milestone, with all the effort it takes to actually reach it. Literally, a PhD is like a marathon and I have had to concentrate on putting one foot forward, and then the other and so one, not tripping, advancing a little at a time. And not to mention a really traumatic Christmas period, of course, from which I wish I could have taken some holiday. Alas, I had Masters assessments on 7th January.

I will write about all of those things I mentioned, in particular the end of analysis, once the mourning period eases my throat. I missed being here. Like Sh. and F. mentioned to me at The Freud Museum last Saturday, blogging is a particular form of writing that suits only some people. To me, it is like tidying my desk, or filing my stuff… I tell you what, I really need to clear some things. The mess has really accumulated while I had my guard down.

Posted in Blog, PhD, Writing

11 Responses to “Absence”

1. LInda Herbertson said:

Yo! Nice to see you back. I hope you find time to post.

2. Laura Gonzalez said:

Nice to be back, Linda. I hope I get time to think aloud too…

3. Laura Gonzalez said:

Oh! And I love Yo. More people should say Yo.

4. Hugo said:

Que casualidad…yo tambien estoy dandole los toques finales al Ch. 1 de mi tesis de doctorado y tambien uso el blog como forma de organizar(me) y de pensar en otras cosas, aunque no esten directamente relacionadas con el tema de la tesis. Encontre tu blog en el de modern psych, y me llamo la atencion tu nombre hispano. No te he podido leer mucho de tu blog, lo hare despacio. Saludos!

5. Laura Gonzalez said:

Saludos, Hugo. Me encanta tu blog y tus pedacitos de pensamiento. Tuenes suerte de poder salir del tema de tu tesis. El mio, la seduccion, es omnipotente y omnipresente. Y yo me dejo, claro…

6. Hugo said:

Estare por aqui, al tanto de lo que nos cuentas.

7. Hugo said:

Encontre esto, pense que a lo mejor te interesaria:

8. Laura Gonzalez said:

Si, claro, esto lo lei yo para mi literature survey. Muy interesante. Seduction as psychoanalysis’ lost object…

9. Hugo said:

Lo supuse, pero igual quise asegurarme.

10. Xan said:

Hola Laura
    Me he encontrado con tu blog por casualidad y queria decirte qe he disfrutado mogollon (o deberia decir qe me has acojonado con tanta charla, tanta conferencia, doctorado…). Eres un maquina, ninaaaaa 😀 (con todo el carino del mundo). Tengo gente qe se engancho’ a la droga del arte en Edinburgo y ahora se pasean por Brighton respirando humedad salada. Parece qe Escocia inspira…Te mando muchos animos y una montana de energia positiva desde Birmingham.
    un abrazo

11. Laura Gonzalez said:

Gracias, Xan! Claro, Escocia inspira… HAce tanto frio que que vamos a hacer? Trabajar! Si lo piensas, las chalas y conferencias no son muchas, eso si, muy intensas. Me encanta hablar en publico. A ti? Tu foto con la tesis en tu web me ha hecho muy feliz. O sea que hay vida despues de un doctorado? Es bueno saberlo! Gracias por la energia (que bien viene) y un abrazo>

About Me

I am an artist and writer. My recent practice performance, film, dance, photography and text, and my work has been performed, exhibited and published in many venues in Europe and the US. I have spoken at numerous conferences and events, including the Museum for the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, the Medical Museum in Copenhagen, College Arts Association and the Association for the Psychoanalysis of Culture and Society. When I am not following Freud, Lacan and Marx’s footsteps with my camera or creating performance works as part of my Athenaeum Research Fellowship at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, I teach postgraduate students at Transart Institute.

I am currently immersed in an interdisciplinary project exploring knowledge and the body of the hysteric. In 2013, together with Child and Adolescent Mental Health practitioner Frances Davies, I co-edited the book ‘Madness, Women and the Power of Art’, to which I contributed a work authored with Eleanor Bowen. My book ‘Make Me Yours: How Art Seduces’ was published by Cambridge Scholars in 2016. In this text, investigates psychoanalytic approaches to making and understanding objects of seduction, including an examination of parallels between artistic and analytic practices, a study of Manolo Blahnik’s shoes as objects of desire, a disturbing encounter with Marcel Duchamp’s last work, and the creation of a psychoanalytically inspired Discourse of the Artefact, a framework enabling the circulation of questions and answers through a relational approach to artworks.